Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Day 1: Chicken Marsala, pg 198

Today is day 1 of my adventure. I made Chicken Marsala. I've had it before at some restaurants, but it was always mediocre. Just the picture was mouth-watering, so I was excited to try it.

Chicken Marsala: thin, tender, juicy chicken cutlets breaded, pan-fried and soaked in sweet marsala wine. Layed on a medley of mushrooms, caramelized onions and fresh parsley. Topped with fresh lemon juice and garnished with a sprig of fresh Italian parsley.

The recipe called for chicken cutlets. I had no idea what that was, so I googled it. Basically, it's just a piece of chicken breast that's been flattened out to 1/4"-1/2" thick. This helps the chicken cook relatively quickly. I looked at a video on YouTube to see how to do the cutlets. The video I watched basically took a boneless, skinless chicken breast and cut it into thirds. Then she pounded them out with her knuckles until they were thin. So, I tried that. It worked, but the breasts didn't look very pretty. When I was almost done, I tried butterflying the breast and then cutting it into a cutlet. That was the winner. I had so much fun making this--can't wait to try it again. I loved having Kynli there too. Hopefully she'll grow up loving to help mom cook! :)

The Chicken Marsala was delicious! The chicken was so moist and it cooked so fast. I'm glad I learned how to do chicken cutlets. The sauce was out-of-this-world too!

I learned: How to make chicken cutlets and how to "dredge" chicken.

What I'd change next time: I'd butterfly the breasts so that they look more appetizing. I'd also make a little more of the sauce. (It is SO tasty!)

Bountiful Basket ingredient: mushrooms




I hope you are enjoying my adventure as much as I am so far! Feel free to leave a comment if there is something you'd like to see in my posts next time. Thanks for following! :)

1 comment:

  1. Juli, I just saw you were doing this! It reminds me of my favorite crockpot blog, she did the same thing back in 08.

    BTW you are such a cute mama, and I love that you're wearing Kynli.

    ReplyDelete