
So excited for this meal! We decided to celebrate Spring with a yummy BBQ! We even broke out the smoker that was in winter storage. We made baby back ribs, salad with lime cilantro dressing and key lime bars. The key lime bars come from the cookbook and were so easy to make. We got the Mexican pack from Bountiful Basket and it came with mostly everything for our meal. Oh I love fresh produce!! And Bountiful Baskets is SO awesome! Liz brought baked beans which were super yummy!
Key lime bars. Oh wow! They were so refreshing. I wish I would have had more time to let them properly chill, but they were still good. I loved the tartness of the key limes with the subtle sweetness of the condensed milk and cream cheese. The two flavors worked really well together. The book suggests toasted coconut on top and that is a must. The coconut added a nice depth and contrast to the flavors as well as a nice texture. I also deviated from the recipe a little. I didn't have the animal crackers for the crumb crust, so I used graham crackers and I thought it still tasted great. The brown sugar verses white sugar in the crust was also a nice change. I also added a little more cream cheese than the recipe called for because I LOVE cream cheese.
What I learned: Not much. These were a cinch. I did learn that bottled key lime juice has a bitter aftertaste. I used fresh key limes and it tasted amazing. I wouldn't skimp on this detail. I would also wait the 2 hrs to let them properly chill. They would be so great even colder.
What I'd change: Nothing! They were delish. And the optional toasted coconut was a fantastic edition and garnish.
Bountiful Basket ingredients: cilantro, tomatillos, jalapenos, green onions, key limes, swiss chard, romaine lettuce, and tomatoes. (Thanks BB and the wonderful Mexi-pack).


Thanks to Dave, Liz and Lucy for coming over to help us celebrate Spring and participate in Project Julia. This has been lots of fun!! So far, so good. Haven't been disappointed in a recipe yet. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment